The Berwyn Community School Initiative (CSI)
In 2011, YC announced that The United Way of DuPage/West Cook & Metropolitan Chicago, in partnership with Office Max, Inc. committed $1,000,000 over the next three years to support a new Berwyn Community School Initiative (CSI). The CSI is a partnership between South Berwyn School District 100 Middle Schools and a wide range of community organizations, social service providers and businesses dedicated to:
- Enhance student academic achievement
- Improve parent involvement in student success
- Create greater access to community resources
Youth Crossroads, Inc. serves as CSI facilitator and primary service provider and coordinates CSI community-based social services delivery and CSI partner resources.
CSI Progress to Date
- A CSI Advisory Group has been formed and meets monthly to develop plans and activities for all CSI activities. 25 representatives from the schools, social and health service providers, the Berwyn Development Corporation, police and parent groups participate in these meetings.
- Two Berwyn-based after-school programs have been created at the community school “hub,” Freedom Middle School, and at Heritage Middle School. Both programs operate Monday-Thursday until 5:30 pm. and offer students homework help and tutoring, life skills workshops, cultural and recreational activities, guest speakers, and field trips on non-school days. Modifications to the program are constantly being made to enhance academic achievement of students.
- A variety of activities have been provided through this initiative to enhance parent participation in their student’s success. From 1-hour workshops in the evening to half-day Saturday Parent University classes, parents are able to learn new skills in child development, family safety and health, and learn strategies specific to maintaining a strong family life.
- Quarterly community resource events have been provided at Freedom School involving over 30 local health and human service provider partners who share information with hundreds of district parents and families. Planning, recruitment and engagement of local health and other service providers has begun to improve awareness of and access to those services by school students, parents and their families.
Berwyn Community School Partners
- Freedom Middle School
- Heritage Middle School
- Youth Crossroads, Inc.
- United Way of Du Page/West Cook
- Office Max, Inc.
- Berwyn Development Corp.
- Berwyn Police Department
- Riveredge Hospital
- Berwyn Township Public Health
- District Berwyn Park District
- School District 100 Board of Education
- Berwyn 708 Mental Health Board
- Vanguard MacNeal Hospital
- PAV YMCA
- The Children’s Clinic
For more information about the Berwyn Community School Initiative, contact David Terrazino at Youth Crossroads, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 708.484.7400.